Blog Visitor Tracker

Monday, February 26, 2007

Amazing Grace

I saw but for a brief moment, an advertisement on television about a movie called, Amazing Grace. I didn't give it much thought at the moment and went on by it while clicking the remote control. One of the favorite things of men to do, switch through the channels before settling down to watch just one thing. My mother called yesterday and mentioned her and my dad were going to go see this movie. She told me she sent me a link in my email and to take a look at it. I did. The movie is about something, I knew for awhile now, which is the story behind the song, "Amazing Grace". This song so loved by everyone, especially here in our society. This song after the 911 incident was the most sung song across America. How soon we forget.
For the most part we have largly ignored the origin of this song and it's author.
I am going to be honest about it, the "white church" hasn't talked about the origin or the author, though we like to sing the song.
I believe we have ignored a mention of this song's origin and it's author simply because it deals with the emancipation of men from slavery, namely that of the African slaves. Regardless, how we pretend to not be prejudice in this country, claiming to be 80% Christian, we are. I personally think that is why, until I read up on it by accident a few years back, I never knew the story behind the song that I sang in church since age 6.
Here is an outline of the story of it's author, I copied it from the web site and edited it some to save my fingers some typing.
http://www.amazinggracemovie.com

John Newton
wrote the words to one of the most beloved hymns of all time between 1760 and 1770, while working as an evangelical pastor. Son of the commander of a merchant ship, Newton was captain of a slave ship for many years, until he underwent a dramatic religious conversion while steering his vessel through a storm.
Repenting and regretting the misery he had inflicted on the thousands of human cargo he had transported across the Middle Passage for many years, he devoted his life to the Church, and wrote the lyrics to many hymns which are still popular today.
In 1780 Newton left Olney to become rector of St. Mary Woolnoth, St. Mary Woolchurch, in London. There he drew large congregations and influenced many, among them William Wilberforce. Newton continued to preach until the last year of life, although he was blind by that time. He died in London December 21, 1807.
What a tremendous testimony to the power of God, to change a man from a slave trader to a minister of reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:18).
A man that so influenced William Wilberforce, that he went to battle to end slavery. The movie is this story. Christian churches will now know the story behind the song and how it resulted in the Grace of God, working through this one man, John Newton, and how he influenced another individual, William Wilberforce to stop this horrible practice of slavery of the African nations people by England. The movie is about this story and the people as summarized here.

Wilberforce, who, was a Member of Parliament, navigated the world of 18th Century backroom politics to end the slave trade in the British Empire. John Newton, a confidante of Wilberforce who inspired him to pursue a life of service to humanity. William Pitt the Younger, England's youngest ever Prime Minister at the age of 24, who encourages his friend Wilberforce to take up the fight to outlaw slavery and supports him in his struggles in Parliament.Elected to the House of Commons at the age of 21, and on his way to a successful political career, Wilberforce, over the course of two decades, took on the English establishment and persuaded those in power to end the inhumane trade of slavery.
Barbara Spooner, was a young woman who shares Wilberforce's passion for reform, and who becomes his wife after a whirlwind courtship. Olaudah Equiano. Born in Africa and sent as a slave to the Colonies, Equiano bought his freedom and made his home in London, where he wrote a best-selling account of his life and became a leading figure in the fight to end the slavery of his fellow countrymen.
This movie is now showing in Tyler, Texas theaters and other places across the United States. I recommend others to see this film, as the courage of these believers in Christ went about practicing, the Lord's prayer. "Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."
There is much to be said about Christian activism. I am an activist as a Christian, for I believe we are called to bring about and usher in the Kingdom of God, by living it, breathing it and allowing the resurrected life of Jesus to live through us, we will influence, and change the world by exposing evil, whereever and whenever God calls us to. It will be costly, but did Jesus not say, count the cost? So, I choose to write now about another slavery that goes on. Go ahead and get mad at me again. It seems whenever I speak the truth about something, someone gets angry, kind of like the Pharisee's of Jesus time. That's OK, truth has to be spoken and I have given this one some thought in my time with the Lord.
Slavery in America Still Exist!
There is a new prejudice in America that has raised it's ugly head, it is a prejudice against the Hispanic people in this country.
Yes, the law has been violated with the illegal entry of many of them, but these people only come here, because in our greed we have invited them as American businessman, so we can pay lower wages to make higher profits. Don't blame any people who want to better themselves, and their families. If you want to stop the influx of illegals, you don't form a hatred committee against those coming here, you form a hatred for the evil of greed that encompasse American business today who illegally hire the people, so their profits can grow. This is where the problem is.
God loves the Mexican people and being raised in New Mexico, I love their culture, their art, their food and their music. They are a wonderful people, and as much Mexican food as we consume and as many Mexican food restaraunts there are here in Athens, Texas, this is a statement, that we like something about them.
The only thing, I ask, do we love them as Christ called us to love them. Or are we just enamored with the idea of having them cook, clean and wait on us, like slaves?
Are we willing to make a stand against slavery?
When a man works at low wages, while another man could afford to pay more, this is nothing more than justified slavery.
Are we willing as Christians to make a stand for all races and colors, or we only fooling ourselves into "playing church" on Sunday?
The words for all of us of this great song, Amazing Grace, should take on more meaning now that we understand, that the author of this wonderful song, took his faith in Christ to heart and influenced others to change the world they lived in.

Amazing Grace (How sweet the sound)
That sav'd a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears reliev'd;
How precious did that grace appear,
The hour I first believ'd!

Thro' many dangers, toils and snare,
I have already come;
'Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall profess, within the vail,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who call'd me here below,
Will be for ever mine.

These words apply to all men, regardless of their race or country of origin.

Dr. J.

No comments:

Post a Comment