Blog Visitor Tracker

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Brittany Spears and Roy Rogers

The big news these days, as national news goes, is to follow around the world's superstars and Brittany Spears has made the news again. Brittany has been in the lime light for sometime. This is a young lady who started out being the idol of every young girl in America. When she started out she wasn't terribly bad but as idols go, they fall down. We all can remember the large statue of Saddam Hussein being pulled down on the arrival of American troops to Iraq. All idols fall and I want to add, they fail.
Now, don't get me wrong, even I had idols as a young boy growing up, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. Thank God, they were good heroes. There seems to be very few of those left these days. Boys idolize favorite ball players today only to find them strung out on steroids or cocaine. Now our daughters and granddaughters have idolized another fallen idol, Brittany Spears. She declined fairly fast once she gained popularity, money and power. Like most, she was overtaken and raptured to "herself" very quickly.
What makes the difference between the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans of yester year and the Brittany Spears of today? It really is simple, Roy and Dale had foundation in an immovable and moral God. Today's generation, I am sorry to say, they have no one to worship but themselves. Brittany, makes a statement and shaves her head and then gets tattoos. The news grabs it up and prints it everywhere, like it was important or something.
For instance headlines for you AOL users today is as follows.

Britney Spears Goes Bald
Extreme Haircut Follows Reports She Enters and Exits Rehab
(Feb. 18) -- Britney Spears appeared in a tattoo parlor in the San Fernando Valley with her head shaved completely bald.Video on KABC-TV showed the newly shorn Spears with tiny tattoos on the back of her neck as she sits Friday night for a new tattoo - a pair of red and pink lips."She just wanted something real small on her wrist, something dainty," Max Gott, the tattoo artist at Body and Soul in Sherman Oaks, told the TV station. "She got some cute little lips on her wrist."

Now I ask you why and how does such stupidity make the news. Why, because this is the way the world thinks. Note, she had "cute" little lips tattoed on her wrist.

I must digress to the "preacher" in me for a moment and write this for all you Christians that have young daughters and granddaughters.

Ephesians 4:17-24
So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles ( *the unbelievers of that time) do, in the futility of their thinking. They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more.
You, however, did not come to know Christ that way. Surely you heard of him and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by it's deceitful desires to be made new in the attidude of your minds and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
Therefore each of us must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body.

Now, I am going to speak truthfully. Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, had a sincere love for Jesus Christ. All the movies they made, the Hollywood scene and popularity, never changed them. I miss them on television, on the news, and more. Today, our children are left with Brittany, Madonna and more.
It's up to the parents to guard the minds of their children, to dictate their dress and habits, even more today, to avoid the pitfalls of the idols that have been made for your children today by the media and this world system.
Children, will never understand this, they me even rebel, I did. I loved all the Rock music groups in the 60's as I became a teenager. It led me astray for a very longtime. My parents made it clear that they didn't accept my likings. They made it clear, that "we" were going to serve the Lord. I rebelled anyway, but you know something, the Bible is still true.
Proverbs says, "Train a child in the way he should go. and when he is old he will not turn from it."
It doesnt say when they are young they won't turn from it. I did, and many like me did. I am old now, 53 years to be exact. I came back by the time I hit 30. I rebelled, I did it all, much to what I am ashamed of now, but you want to know something, I have my old heroes back in mind now, Roy and Dale, and how I miss them. I even own an old printed photo poster of them. I like looking at it from time to time, to remember what it used to be like.
Children need someone to look up to, and they are offered many things in the world to idolize, and their idols will often fall. Especially those without Christ in them.
All my teenage idols fell. They were losers. Why? Simply, because they had no foundation in them. Jimmy Hendrix, Jim Morrison and others, soon died due to the world they lived in, drugs and unconstrained lifestyles.
I tell you what, here is what is needed, pray for Brittany and others, that our kids idolize, pray that they may come to truth, but most of all, pray for your children and grand children, that they will not succumb to the ways of this crazy world we live in. They are exposed to all this at a never before seen furious rate, television, advertising, radio and more at a much earlier age then I was.
I had Roy and Dale when I was young, it wasn't until the turbulent 60's and my teenage years (15 years old and above) before I got the wrong heroes too.
If they do find heroes in people like Brittany, make sure you did them right while they were growing up so they will have something to turn to when they get old. It's up to you, the parent. They need to hear from you and listen.
I did, Bible heroes and Christians like Roy and Dale Evans are my heroes once again, all because I had parents who cared and loved me enough to not only give me direction but they have never got off their knees praying for me. They are in their 70's now and still praying for me. I thank God they care, and I got old and returned to what they tried to tell me back then.
Listen up kids, they love you, and if they say something negative about Brittany, they have good reason. Take heed and listen, someday you will be glad you did.
Brittany, this message is for you. If you really ever really loved yourself, it's time you really care about those out there that see you, and idolize you, and it will be your doing, if you lead them astray. Give it up and as the saying goes, " and come to Jesus", now, before it's too late. I only hope you had parents that cared and gave you something to return to in your old age, like I did.
I am not saying having a tattoo or a shaved head, determines you're not a Christian, it is a heart of rebellion that I am talking about. I know some Christians that have tatoos and even shaved heads, I have an ear ring that I got while being a biker. The ear ring doesn't make me who I am, it doesn't even determine if I am a Christian or not a Christian. They just state, that I rebelled at a time in my life or thought something was cool because all my friends were doing it. I continue to wear my ear ring, but now, I have a new reason to do so. Someday, I will explain.
What I am concerned with is not the things of the flesh ,but the things of the Spirit and Brittany has already shown that she is lacking there and the things she is doing now are just further evidence of her need, for "spiritual transformation". God, forbid, that our kids don't understand this. Teach them.


Dr. J.

No comments:

Post a Comment